Tuesday, June 24, 2014

6/17/14 Vienna - HORSIES!!!

 On Monday some of us had purchased tickets to attend the Morning Exercises of the Lipizzaners at the Spanish Riding School.  There was a line, though we eventually discovered that was a line to purchase tickets and got into a different line to go in.




As some of you might recognize from my pictures last year, this is the automated horse-walker used to exercise the stallions while they're stabled in the city.




There were places to sit along the edge of the arena.  We went up into the higher balcony to find seating.  There were standing places on the level below, but my feet were already killing me by then.  From above we could see pretty much everything.


Technically not allowed to photograph in here but there were a critical mass of people ignoring the rule so I snuck a few photos.  The piano was not used during the morning exercises, although there was music.  I assume this is used for actual performances.


Horses are exercised in groups of six, after which the riders dismount and the horses are led away by grooms.




Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of the horses actually working.  From what I saw, I got the feeling that they worked in groups that contained a couple experienced horses, some less experienced horses, then one or two that were learning special skills like how to trot in place.  Special skill training required one person to direct the front end of the horse while another encouraged the horse to move its legs forward.  When the horse learned how to coordinate its legs like that, the motions could then be associated with commands from a rider.  Otherwise, it was fairly standard dressage exercises executed very well.


After watching two sets of riders practice, the students wanted to go to lunch.  I wasn't up for walking all the way over to Hotel Sacher where they had agreed to meet the other students who didn't attend the dressage practice, so I went to Cafe Demel before deciding what to do with the rest of my day.  I did stop in the gift shop to get a couple things for my friend Sam so she doesn't murder me in my sleep for being able to see the Lipizzaners.  

Carriage horses waiting for customers.


1 comment: