Monday, June 23, 2014

6/16/14 Vienna Stephansdom

The students went through the Schatzkammer a lot faster than I did because I took an audioguide and went camera happy.  I met up with David to visit the cathedral tower after wandering around as much as I wanted.

Statue of Hercules on one of the walls of the Hofburg.




Another view of the Roman ruin exhibit on Michaelerplatz.


Random mosaic.


Bit of a fountain.


I'm guessing St. Christopher due to the child and walking stick.









There's thankfully a little elevator that goes to the top of the tower.  The roof is decorated with colorful shingles.  I didn't get any vertigo looking at the view of the city, but I did from looking at the shingles for some reason.







Unfortunately I don't have any good photos of the bells because they were encased in glass and the light was reflecting too strongly.




















The Riesenrad over in Prater, where there's an amusement park.


This church is on the opposite side of the Donau from the Lair of the Killer Swans.


The part of the city with these tall buildings is where the UN buildings in Wien are located.


The shiny blue and gold thing is part of a steam plant designed by Hundertwasser.


This is the Donauturm, your standard big tall needle building.



Continuing last year's gargoyle theme, when viewed from above it becomes clear that these are full-bodied figures.







More carriage horses.



This is some sort of statue feature on the roof of a building.


The double spires in the distance should be the Votivkirche, which was near the theater where we went for Film Frühstück last year.




Another feature of the amusement park.












After the cathedral we found a place to eat.



I ordered something that turned out to be a giant hummus sampler.  Wasabi, curry, beet, garlic, pepper and plain, plus chicken, ground meat, and sauteed mushrooms.  It was quite delicious but I couldn't eat it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment